Translate

Monday, December 10, 2012

"Norway?! Why are you moving to *Norway*?"

I have been asked this question on a regular basis for the past year since I decided to move to Norway. The simple answer is always, "To be with my fiance." Yet, still, people are amazed that I am moving to such a cold, dark country. What most people don't know is just how wonderful and beautiful the country and its people are!

The question that inevitably follows is, "How did you meet him if he lives in Norway?"

Svein Arild and I met online in 2005 when he messaged me randomly on Yahoo! asking to just chat and practice his English. From there we grew as friends and, eventually, after his many requests, I allowed him to come visit me in person in April 2011. We took a trip through the Shenandoah Valley and fell head over heels for each other.

He visited again in August 2011 when we took a trip to Pennsylvania for a long weekend. (You'll notice we have an affinity for road trips!) Finally, in October of 2011 I visited Norway for the first time and fell in love with the country as well!


Svein Arild and I in front of the Royal Palace in Oslo!

When I returned home from that trip I knew I was going to move there. We spent the next few months trying to figure out the best way for me to accomplish that but there are so many financial reasons I had to stay here. It seemed impossible.

He came to visit me for Christmas and we drove from Maryland out to Missouri and back for him to visit my parents and meet my family. They all approved of him and were so supportive of our relationship!


The Family at Silver Dollar City

Another road trip in May 2012 up the Northeast found us engaged at sunrise in Acadia National Park atop Cadillac Mountain!


He proposed at sunrise on top of a mountain! So romantic!
 Finally, in July 2012, I took another trip over to Norway where we road-tripped through Norway, Sweden, Poland, Germany and Denmark. It was yet another amazing trip filled with family, geocaching and adventures!

So, that is the very brief version of our beginnings together to establish a context for the posts to follow. Sharing this new adventure - the process, the happiness, the sadness, the ups and downs - is meant to help our family follow the process as well as those out there going through the same situation whether it be Norway or another country. I will try to post as regularly as possible not only about the immigration process but acclimating to life in a new country. Any tips, tricks, words of encouragement are most welcomed!

Feel free to take a gander at the videos we have posted of our travels together as well as our "Svanndi's Guide to Norway" on YouTube! (Links below)

Thanks for joining me on this adventure! I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings!!


"Nylendene" Our home in Norway!
P.S. The name "Svanndi" was given us by my college roommate, Stephanie, as a celebrity name when she made a mixed CD for a road trip we took. We loved the name so now use it all the time!

No comments:

Post a Comment