Translate

Saturday, February 2, 2013

And We're Off! The Start of the Immigration Process!

Today I received a much awaited package in the mail! Svein Arild had sent me the official marriage certificate back on the 17th but it took two weeks and one day to get here!

Picture taken like this to avoid divulging personal information.


I was thrilled when my housemate texted me today that she had signed for a package from Svein Arild! I immediately ran home to get it! Having it in my possession means we can now officially start the immigration process! We, as you know, got married legally on December 21 but because of the holidays and such our receipt of the certificate was delayed and therefore my receipt of it was uber-delayed. Svein Arild paid extra for tracking this single piece of paper in an envelope so we could keep track of the very important document. Well, that was all fine and good until the envelope reached New York City. The tracking stopped there as it was a Norwegian tracking code so we had no idea where it was for over a week and we were getting concerned that it had gotten lost. But, whew! It is here now so we can get started with this whole process!

The certificate is pivotal in the process because I have to legally change my name before I can apply for family reunification in Norway. I could have applied with my current last name but then would have had to change my name in two countries instead of one. I figured doing it this way would just be easier. So, on Monday, I will be going to the Social Security office to change my name!

The next step in the process will be to gather the paperwork required to file for family reunification in order for me to move to Norway. I need to get a new passport which, as you know, is a lengthy wait so I'll pay extra for an expedited return on the new passport.

I also need to obtain an official copy of my birth certificate which, in its own right, will be a process. I have to mail an application to the records office with a check and wait for them to send me a copy. Then I have to mail it to the Secretary of State's office in that state to get, you guessed it, another apostille! Those gold stickers are very important! I almost feel like I need to collect a certain amount to get into the Chocolate Factory that is Norway!

There are other documents, essays, etc that are required but I won't bore with those. There is a complete list on the UDI website should you need them. Here is the link: http://goo.gl/ilaIP

Hopefully this process will be speedy and smooth. I've heard horror stories but I feel it is more the anticipation with the hurry-up-and-wait nature of the process that causes anxiety. I get asked on a daily basis, "When are you moving to Norway?" I really have no clue! We don't know how long this process will take but we certainly hope it is before our church wedding in August!! Keep your fingers crossed for us! At least now we can get started and stop sitting on our thumbs! 

Thanks for joining us on this journey! Send speedy thoughts to our paperwork!

Hadet bra!

No comments:

Post a Comment